"Be thankful in all things, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you." I Thes 5:18

Saturday, January 1, 2011

My First Day Of The Year


We stayed up till 2011 rolled in. It was simple and quiet. Emma didn't make it and asked to go to bed around 11pm. The guinea pigs were squeaking and seemed to know there was a reason to be up late too. I'm sure their life in the new year is going to be much better from the months they spent in a small dog cage on a front porch. They are seeming so happy. Oreo in particular talks to us when we come in the door or get up in the morning, and even randomly through the day when she wants attention. They are so funny too because they want to be socialized but their instinct is still to run and hide when you go to get them. That must be confusing if you were a guinea pig.
Victoria and Caedmon traded off turns on the Wii playing their new Lego Harry Potter and Star Wars games, while Rick and I watched a movie and a few episodes of "The Big Bang Theory". When Midnight came around the Hispanic population set off their bombs fireworks. They really like to blow things up celebrate. Then, the mission bells starting ringing and I was imagining happy giddy monks in their brown robs (yes, they really do look like Friar Tuck) flying up and down with the bell ropes.
In many ways the new year seemed uneventful to me. I'm not sorry about that. The fact is, life will go on in it's normalcy whether it's Dec 31st or Jan 1st. I will still have a messy house that I struggle to keep up on. I will still need to workout all year to stay healthy. I will still need to cook to save money. I will still work at being loving to my husband and children (especially more now that I have a teenager). Life is not really exceptional because it's New Years, or I should say, I won't get any superpowers injected into me if I conjure up some grand emotions about it. Still, 2010 was a year of a lot of learning for me and I'm glad of it. I liked what John Piper said on his Facebook this morning:

"God promises new troubles (Mat. 6:34), new mercies (Lam 3:23), and new hope (2 Cor 4:16) for every day this year."


So, although there are a lot of things I wish to implement in the new year, I'm realizing that it's going to take daily renewal and resolve rather than a big rush from a clean slate. Slates are easily dirtied with use.

So, today, it's raining, more Wii games being played, and Rick and Caedmon are building Lego's. I'm showered and put on some more PJ's and clean socks, grabbed a coffee and had a banana muffin with walnuts and white chocolate chips. The kids have been laughing and bickering, doing their chores and leaving dishes around. The pets have been playing and making their own messes. Rick and I have loaded dishes and wiped counters. I've prettied up the kitchen a bit and removed some clutter. I'm about to put soups on to warm from last night and am hoping to FINALLY play some Mario as the kids have promised me I finally get a turn.

Life is not magical today, it's normal and I am blessed. God is good in rain and shine, trial and thrill, stress and satisfaction.

This is life...
This is 2011...
Bring it on.


No comments: